December 10, 2016
Heating maintenance is one of the most effective ways to save money during the fall and winter. When the weather here in St. Louis takes a turn for the cold and frigid, you need to make sure your heating needs are met so your family can remain warm and comfortable. However, for some homeowners out there, finding the right balance between effectiveness and efficiency proves a challenge. According the United States Department of Energy, heating makes up a significant portion of your home’s energy budget, meaning one wrong move with your heating may prove costly. Some homeowners don’t even bother tending to their heating needs at all, leading to poor energy efficiency and shortened system lifespan. What also makes trying to save money on heating so difficult is that you simply cannot go without it during the winter. It is a necessity and if you live with a growing family, you will need a wider range of heating needs met to ensure everyone’s 100% comfort. With another winter upon us you may already be settling for a long season of increased spending. However there are still several ways you can save money on heating bills without sacrificing the level of comfort in your home.
How Can SmartHouse Heating and Cooling Help You?
If you want to ensure your comfort this season, please call SmartHouse Heating and Cooling immediately. We recommend you call us for a furnace tune-up once a year, preferably towards the beginning of the heating season. One of our licensed heating technicians will come to your home to complete a full system check where they will clean the system, test and adjust safety controls, check gas pressures and more to ensure your furnace is working at its best. If your furnace appears beyond any repairs, we can also replace it with a more efficient model from one of the top brands in the country to ensure you have longer-lasting heat in your home. With our assistance, you will be able to relax so much easier throughout the winter, especially when you know your system is running as efficiently as possible. And perhaps most importantly, your family will live comfortably and stay far away from getting stuck in the cold.
8 Heating Maintenance Tips
If you are looking to ensure your comfort this season and save a few dollars more on bills, please take of these helpful maintenance tips:
- Insulating Your Home: A lack of insulation during the colder months can be detrimental to any home. You may lose heat to the cold, outdoor air. The cost of installing insulation can be well worth it in terms of saving more money on utility bills.
- Invest in a Humidifier: The air will become uncomfortably dry during the winter, which means the indoor air quality in your home may take a turn for the worst. However, you can take comfort in knowing SmartHouse Heating and Cooling can provide you with a modern humidifier that will restore moisture back into your home.
- Change the Filters: Your furnace filters can become clogged with dirt and debris, which will result in the furnace’s airflow becoming blocked. This will then force the system to work harder in producing heat, consuming more energy in the process. During the fall and winter, these filters should be changed once a month to ensure the smoothest transition of heat.
- Seal Air Leaks: Air leaks are one of the most major causes of home heating loss. Consider having an energy audit to inspect areas like attics, basements, and crawl spaces for areas of opportunities to seal common sources of air leaks.
- Use Sunlight: Sure, the colder months will see its fair share of stormy weather, but you can still expect plenty of sunshine ahead. You should take advantage of it by opening up your curtains and allowing it to filter into your home. You won’t waste a single dime on heating.
- Zoning Capabilities: Many homes can be zoned giving you the option of providing heat to areas in need of it the most. As you probably know, giving heat to a room not in use is a huge waste of heat, which will only lead to greater spending on energy bills.
- Upgrade to Programmable Thermostats: If you are looking for greater control over the temperature in your home, you should consider installing a programmable thermostat. It will allow you to set a temperature in your home that will best meet your unique heating needs. An upgrade will also ensure your furnace doesn’t provide more heat than necessary.
- Reduce Water Heater Temperature: You need hot water at this time of year more than any other, but turning down the temperature on your water heater by a few notches will ensure the system doesn’t expend as much energy, thus saving you money on bills. Your water will remain hot, but will be far less likely to verge on scalding,
Don’t Let Your Heating Bill Sneak Up On You – Schedule A Heating Maintenance Service Today
Contact SmartHouse Home Performance today if you want to avoid high costs on heating maintenance!