January 15, 2016
During the winter, the Gateway Arch looms over a city populated by low temperatures and snowy rooftops, standing tall next to a freezing Mississippi River on the verge of becoming the destination for the St. Louis Blues to play hockey. Make no mistake, winter is here—and if you find yourself without heat, you need furnace installation in St. Louis in a hurry, if you haven’t done so already.
But wait! Before you go and purchase the latest furnace model, you need to make sure you’ve picked the right one for your home. All too often, homeowners will get impatient during the furnace buying process, leading to them getting stuck with a heating system that either can’t adequately meet their heating needs or simply doesn’t fit in their home. The buying process is one that requires careful consideration, and the team at SmartHouse Home Performance is here to help you get the perfect furnace for your home!
What Questions Should You Ask?
Like the old saying goes, questions never hurt, and it’s certainly true when you’re trying to purchase that perfect furnace. Heating is an urgent matter at this time of year, so ask your local heating contractor these 5 questions:
- What is the best system type? There is a variety of technology in furnaces such as multiple stage heating options and variable speed blowers that will impact the purchase price, operating costs, efficiency and overall comfort provided by the furnace. Make sure to ask you heating and cooling contractor what type of furnace makes the most sense for your home, budget and comfort goals.
- How can you determine the best furnace size? Many first-time homeowners will go directly for that big furnace with the belief that bigger furnace size means higher performance, but that couldn’t be any farther from the truth. A smaller furnace can provide you the proper amount of heating and increased comfort with the correct run times, and for a lesser price. Your local contractor can help you determine the right furnace size by measuring the space in your home.
- What is the best fuel type? Heating systems are mainly fueled by one of two things: natural gas or electricity. Natural gas furnaces are generally much more energy-efficient, so they can save you a ton of money on monthly bills. If you don’t have a gas line or want heating more within your budget, electric would be the right choice for you. Keep in mind there are many efficiency options available in both gas and electric heat that will have an impact on the initial purchase price along with the ongoing operating costs to consider.
- How can you determine pricing? Again, if you’re under the belief that bigger furnace size means higher quality performance, you may want to think twice, this time in terms of payment. While you certainly want a high-performing furnace in your home, it’s also important to consider your budget. Remember: higher price does not mean better comfort.
- What are the incentives? When you’re trying to find the right furnace, it’s all about what it can do for you, right? Ask your local heating contractor about any available incentives for higher efficiency equipment such as those being offered through Laclede Gas. Consider the rebates you’ll receive that will allow some money to come back into your wallet, so you’re not having to smash open that piggy bank to pay for a heating system.
Be sure to take time with your heating and cooling contractor to fully understand the options that are available to you and the impact those options will have on how well your furnace purchase will heat your home. The extra time spent up front will help ensure improved comfort in your home for years to come. Or, simply contact SmartHouse and our team will guide you through what furnace would best suite your individual needs!